ISORA News Items all in date order.
The ISORA 2020 AGM was held on Saturday 7th November 2020. This was a Virtual Meeting by Zoom (provided by Pwllheli Sailing Club).
In addition to the usual AGM business the Officers and Committee members for 2021 were elected - see here
A draft 2020 race schedule was proposed by the Technical Committee and it was agreed that this would form the basis of the time table for 2021.
The schedule was split into three elements , the Offshore Series for the Wolf's Head Trophy, three Coastal Series in Ireland and a Coastal series in Wales.
The latest version of the schedule will be published here shortly .......
“Rockabill VI” is ISORA Irish Offshore Champion while “Mojito” is the ISORA UK / Welsh Offshore Champion.
In these strange times and in the absence of the Overall Championship, The Wolf’s Head, we have two offshore champions. As government regulations prevented any traditional cross channel offshore races, two separate series were run on each side of the Irish Sea. A total of 16 races were run, 8 on each side. As there was no mixing of the fleet, the Wolf’s Head trophy for the overall ISORA champion was withdrawn.
On the Irish side the currant offshore champion for 2019, Paul O’Higgins and “Rockabill VI” beat off competition from Andrew Algeo’s “Juggerknot 2” and Chris Power-Smith’s “Aurelia” to take the ISORA Irish Championship 2020. On the UK side, Peter Dunlop’s “Mojito” took the ISORA UK / Welsh Offshore Championship 2020.
Each side also had a coastal series consisting of four races. On the Irish side the Viking Marine Coastal Series was won by “Rockabill VI”. On the UK /Welsh side “Mojito” also took the Global Display Coastal Series.
Silver Class was won by.
Class 1 was won by Andrew Algeo’s “Juggerknot2” and Class 2 was won by Grzegorz Kalinecki’s “More Mischief”.
In normal times, the prizegiving is part of the famous ISORA AGM & Dinner that takes place in the National Yacht Club in November. At this stage , it is unlikely that the Covid regulations will allow this gathering to take place. An alternative event, equally enjoyable, will be planned!!!
There is an article and great photos on Afloat.ie here
The next race in the ISORA 2020 re-boot series is the first scheduled qualifying offshore race.
The Race Management Committee has been working hard with the Governing Bodies and other agencies in Ireland and Wales to see how this race could be run in compliance with all current regulations and, of course, in accordance with our own 'back to racing protocol'.
Differences between the regulations on either side of the Irish Sea with differences in crew number limitations, port access and difficulties with overnight stays onboard have all conspired to make it impossible to run a qualifying race which is equitable and equally available to all competitors.
The Race Management Committee has therefore decided that there will be two offshore qualifying races on Saturday 1st August: one in Ireland and one in Wales.
The remaining races will follow the same schedule of races previously published, however, the format and date of the race scheduled for Monday 17th August will be reviewed and details will be published next week.
Our racing will only take place if conditions allow for a safe competition for all and that we are not placing any risk on others.
ISORA racing in these difficult times is possible because of our investment in technologies which allow remote desk-top race management. The course for both races will be issued before 1200hrs on Friday 31st July and both races can be viewed on the ISORA YB Tracker.
ISORA is now all set for the first coastal race of the Re-Boot Program of Races
The first race in the 12 race series is on Saturday 4th July.
This is also the first race in the Viking Marine Irish Coastal Series of four Races
Competitors should be familiar with the following documents:
Re-Boot General Sailing Instructions for 2020 (SIs) these are published – see here
Supplemental Sailing Instructions For Race 1 (SSIs) – see here
ISORA Back to Boating Protocol Version 8a – available here
Entry Form is now available – see here
See who has already entered - here – 10 entries so far!
Re-Boot Program Published – see here
Calendar updated to show all re-boot races see calendar here
The race can be followed on our YB race tracker here
The course for Race 1 will be published on the ISORA web site before 12.00hrs on Friday 3rd July and will be circulated by e-mail
Please make sure you have registered to receive the e-newsletters with race information by subscribing here
The ISORA: Back to Boating Protocol is now published.
The document is a live working document and the intention of the Race Management team is to update it as and when restrictions are relaxed/changed in the various territorial waters relevant to each race.
The objective is to get us back racing at the earliest possible opportunity but only if we can do so safely and within all relevant guidelines and regulations.
ISORA is working on a the 'Back to Boating Protocol' that will allow coastal racing to begin after 29th June. This hinges strongly on the 2m distancing being reduced.
Irrespective, racing will be provided for 2-handed and family pods. It will be issued early this week.
It is proposed that all starts and finishes would be done using the trackers eliminating any need for committee boats etc.
ISORA will at all times comply with the recommendations and guidlines issued by Irish Sailing, RYA and RYA Cymru Wales.
It is with sadness we report the passing of Bruce Lyster an ISORA Champion
Bruce successfully campaigned 1/2 tonner Swuzzelbubble and won the Overall ISORA championship and the coveted Wolf's Head in 1980 and was also a winner in Cowes in the same year.
Our most sincere condolences to the family and friends
ISORA have postponed the first two offshore races in the 2020 series.
These two races are the offshor races scheduled for 2nd May and 23rd May
This follows the advice of our Governing bodies, RYA and IS and ISORA understands the need to keep everyone safe.
The e-newsletter circulated on Sunday 26th April can be seen here
The Race Management Committee is looking at opportunities, with our partners, for rescheduling postponed races and considering the consequences of cancelled races.
The first four races in the 2020 series have been postponed this includes the first two offshore races.
The ISORA Race Committee have been looking at reshaping the series and Chairman Peter Ryan said 'we are committed to running a full series in 2020 by providing the offshore racing requested by competitors. To achieve this, we will continue to listen to suggestions and consider all options. We will introduce all of the cutting-edge technologies to achieve this'
There is, however, a lot of speculation about when the lock-down restrictions will be eased or lifted, what form of social distancing will be imposed and for how long these will last. We then need to consider the impact these restrictions will have on sailing and offshore racing. We are, of course, reliant on the advice given by our National Governing Bodies RYA & IS. Whilst considering options the safety of our competitor and those who support us is of paramount importance.
ISORA does, however, have the ability to be very flexible in setting a revised programme and will react very quickly when there is clarity in what will be allowed.
We have looked at a number of options in what may be a very crowded calendar for late summer and autumn. In considering options we are conscious that ISORA has always provided the races required to qualify for the round Ireland Race and we hope to provide this again this year. The new date for RI is 22nd August. We also want to support other established Championships and Regattas, such as the Wave Regatta 11th - 13th September and the IRC Welsh National Championship 14th to 16th August. The ISORA-organised 160-mile Dublin Bay to Cork Harbour Race is also in the mix with a proposed start date of 31st July.
We have set out, in the following document the latest proposal for the revised 2020 ISORA Series.